Upcoming Exhibitions

 

Untitled-56-Lweb

Mary Ellen Bartley, Untitled 56, 2014, Photograph, 12 x 18″

Mary Ellen Bartley

Leaning Above the Page

Saturday, October 25 – Sunday, January 4, 2015

Opening Reception: October 25 / 5:30-7:30pm

Features 19 photographic meditations selected from five different ongoing series: Standing Open, Paperbacks, Sea Change, Blue Books, and Push 2 Stops. This solo exhibition is the result of Ms. Bartley receiving Top Honors in the 2012 Artists Members Exhibition from Lilly Wei, independent Curator, Essayist and Critic for Art in America, who was the juror for Guild Hall’s 74thArtist Members Exhibition that included entries from more than 450 artists. Previously, Ms. Bartley had the unprecedented distinction of receiving the Artist Member Show’s Best Photograph award for four years in a row. Three of those pieces will be in this solo show.

 

Read a profile of Mary Ellen Bartley: “A Thousand Words Are Worth a Picture” by Jennifer Landes, The East Hampton Star

 

 

David Salle, Spinning, Tango, Out  2013, Oil on canvas, acrylic and silkscreen on ink on metal with hand thrown ceramic object, 77 x 65 inches

David Salle, Spinning, Tango, Out, 2013, Oil on canvas, acrylic and silkscreen on ink on metal with hand thrown ceramic object, 77 x 65 inches

New Additions to the Guild Hall Museum Permanent Collection 2010-2014

Saturday, October 25 – Sunday, January 4, 2015

Opening Reception: Saturday, October 25 / 5:30-7:30pm

In 1931, when Mrs. Lorenzo E. Woodhouse dedicated Guild Hall as a cultural center for the community, The New York Times noted that Howard Russell Butler’s portrait of Thomas Moran on exhibit was not a loan but an acquisition. “It marks the beginning of a permanent collection which is proposed to build up in Guild Hall,” the newspaper explained.

 

From the beginning more than 83 years ago, the holdings have grown significantly in size and scope. In the early 1960’s, the collection began to focus on the artists who have lived and worked in the region, including some of the country’s most celebrated painters, sculptors, photographers and graphic artists. In 1973, the museum received the distinction of being accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, and it was reaccredited in 2010. Today, the holdings of 19th, 20th and 21st century art number some 2,200 objects, and the museum continues to acquire works by donation and acquisition. This exhibition will focus on the works that have entered the collection from 2010-2014.

 

With its close proximity to New York City, the East End became a popular tourist destination with the onset of the Long Island Railroad in the late 19th century. The L.I.R.R. was very active in marketing the charms of the region by distributing thousands of brochures and leaflets. In the 1870s, Hudson River School painters portrayed the white sand beaches of eastern Long Island. Winslow Homer came to visit in 1872, and,  in 1878, a group of New York artists known as the Tile Club traveled to the East End and visited several of its small villages, including East Hampton. Thomas Moran and his family settled permanently in 1884. His home and studio became the center of life for artists who visited the village. In the teens, twenties and thirties, many artists, including Guy Pene du Bois and George Bellows, visited the area. Later after WWII, the Surrealists, aided by artist and philanthropist Gerald Murphy, were welcomed guests. They were followed by the Abstract Expressionist artists Jackson Pollock, Lee Krasner and Willem de Kooning; Pop artists Roy Lichtenstein, James Rosenquist and Andy Warhol; Photorealists Audrey Flack and Chuck Close; 80’s and 90’s Neo-expressionist artists Eric Fischl, David Salle; as well as many contemporary artists, such as Ross Bleckner, Cindy Sherman and Richard Prince. These artist-residents continue to make the East End the country’s foremost art colony.

 

$7 Suggested Admission. Museum hours: Mon, Fri, & Sat 11am-5pm; Sun noon-5pm.

 

Sponsored in part by Richard I. Adrian, Ambassador and Mrs. Donald Blinken, Carol and Raymond Merritt, and Joyce and George Moss

 

All Museum programming is made possible in part though the generosity of Crozier Fine Arts, The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust, the Helen Hoie Fund, The Lorenzo and Mary Woodhouse Trust, Melville Straus Family Endowment Fund, and with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts and Suffolk County.


 

nysca_blackSuffolk County Economic Development and Planning

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AAM_Emblem_FullColor_CS5 copyGuild Hall Museum has been accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) since 1973.